Mar 17, 2009

Kung fu, dance, and other things I do when not studying

Life has been busy. Actually, that is a bit of an understatement. The only reason I have the time to write this update is because one of my students decided that he didn't want to have English class tonight. The longer I stay in Beijing, the more friends I make, and the more things I want to do, so the academic schedule becomes more and more restricting on my life. However, although there are opportunities for activities and community classes every week I can't go to, I am still managing to find time for a few of the most important things.

So, CET (the academic program I am in Beijing via) has these extra evening classes. They are optional, and focus on various cultural things specific to China, like calligraphy, ping pong (a big thing here. Huge really. It is the national sport.), Chinese painting, and Wu Shu. Wu Shu is different from many other martial arts that I have practiced, in that many of the martial arts I have practiced can be used in a combat situation. Now, I am sure that a devoted Wu Shu practitioner will tell you other wise, but from my experience (personal experience, and research) Wu Shu has considerable less which can be applied in a fight that, say, Judo, Karate, Jeet Kune Do, Escrima, or a dozen other martial arts. It is kind of like fighting moves were taken, made prettier, and then strung together in a choreographed dance. That being said, I get to use a staff, two knives (don't worry mom, there not sharpened), and to pretty jumps while at Wu Shu class. Although there is a minimal amount I am learning that I will be able to use next time I spar (or in the eventuality that a am attacked and need to use my body to fight), the class is still enjoyable. It is closest thing to a martial art that I have done steadily since last summer when I had Jeet Kune Do classes in Kalamazoo. Also, when I asked the teacher what style we were doing, his answer roughly meant "Were kind of doing Shaolin long fist," which is at least reputable as a cultural thing, even if I am not learning combat applicable techniques. Another nice part of it is the opportunity for other people to see my MAD FIGHTIN' SKILLZZ! I mean, I don't show off or anything, but the teacher has a good enough eye that he can tell that I know what I am doing with my body, and that I have more control over it that the other students. Every now and then the teacher will have one student do a section of a form alone, and he picked me the other night. I was pretty happy for the opportunity, since it was a form with a knife in each hand. Going through it, a lot of it felt really dancey, and I definitely heard some "oooohh"s when I did the jump in the form (not gonna lie. That kind of recognition of my abilities from my peers felt pretty good). It is interesting to watch some of the other male students, and how their faces get so serious, like they are trying to fight off a bunch of terrorists with Bruce Willis or something. Comparing that to how I feel when I do the form brings such a contrast, since I am not even trying to make it a fighting thing, I am just going with the flow of the moves. Really more of a kung fu dance.

But speaking of dance, my first chance to do some modern dance in about two years is just around the corner. I found the Beijing Dance LDTX Modern Dance Company online, and I am planning to check it out. The classes are all in Chinese, and from what I got from a phone call, although some of the teachers were trained in the west, it has distinctly Chinese elements, making it different from modern dance that I would take in the US. The best part is that CET will reimburse students up to 70 RMB a week for cultural activities, and I just got the stamp of approval today for these classes, meaning that I get free modern dance classes in Beijing until the end of the semester. WOOHOO!!

Although I end up spending more time that I want to every day preparing for the next days lesson, I recently started exercising every day. I returned to my old standby for an extensive list of stretches, combined with various simple strength-building exercises (sit-ups, push-ups, the basics) and ballet/kung fu style leg stretches for 45 minutes each afternoon. Not gonna lie: it feels good to get back into my body. Yesterday I even did my first front-handspring since arriving in China. It has been more than six months since doing gymnastics, and it felt SO damn good to do some again.

Another thing I have somehow managed to find time for it hanging out with Meng Lili. I suppose it doesn't take a genius to guess that if I am gonna go through the hassle of having a girlfriend whom I can only %70 communicate with, I am gonna make it a priority to spend some time with her. This weekend got together in the afternoon to walk through 圆明园 (Yuán míng yuán, the Old Summer Palace). I really enjoyed that place, since I learned about the history behind it during my Sophomore year at K, and it holds such symbolic importance to China. In 1860, during the second opium war, the British and French destroyed the Summer Palace, and the Chinese government has left it as ruins ever since to serve as a reminder of Western barbarism, imperialism, and to remind people how much China was humiliated and made to suffer during the hundred years of shame (a century of time preceding the CCP's revolution in the mid-20th century, during which China was subjected to foreign rule by Japan, America, and the European Powers). It was really cool to look at fallen pillars and the remains of pavilions, knowing that a palace had stood there long ago. After strolling thought the Old Summer Palace and getting some dinner, Meng Lili and I watched 非诚勿扰/If You Are The One The English title has nothing to do with the Chinese title, actually. An accurately translated name might be something like "Dishonest, But Not Hasselsome." Of course, that doesn't sound nearly as cute and romantic. It was a really nice movie though, so I definitely recommend that you check it out.

Believe it or not, I am wiped. I am gonna get some rest. Chinese class, kung fu class, juggling club (still awesome! I learned how to toss two balls behind by back), working as an English teacher, spending time with Meng Lili (only on weekends, it is too difficulty during the week), and soon to have dance class... I feel really ready to be done with full-time school. If I had my choice I would just graduate right now, and then continue my education on a part-time basis, so that I could satisfy mjavascript:void(0)y thirst for knowledge while allowing myself enough time for other passions, hobbies, and desires.

EDIT: I forget to mention, but you totally need to check out my new favorite cartoon. It is called "Three Monks".

1 comment:

Jamie Sturm said...

know what you mean, man. but then again our 进步会越来越快!